Bubión - the pearl of the Poqueira Valley
Origins and history of Bubión
Though there is no evidence of this today, it is claimed that in the 19thc Roman burial mounds were discovered in Bubion, thus dating its origins back to the Romans. It is, however, the Arabs that gave it its prominence, when, in the thirteenth century, they declared the town head of the Taha of Poqueira which included the villages of Capileira, Pampaneira and Alguástar, this latter no longer exists.
After the conquest of Granada in 1492 by the Catholic Monarchs, the Morisco population of Las Alpujarras was gradually subjected to pressures that eventually became so intolerable that in 1568, a wealthy landowner of the area, Fernando de Válor , otherwise known as Abén Humeya, took up arms against Philip II. The inhabitants of Bubión were behind the uprising which resulted in internal strife and the assassination of Abén Humeya in 1569. In 1571 the revolt was finally crushed by Juan of Austrias, the Moors were expelled or massacred and the town, as the rest of the region, repopulated by citizens of other Spanish kingdoms, mostly from Asturias, Galicia, Castilla and Léon, lured by the vast amount of land given to them.
Fiestas of Bubión
In Bubión two festivals are held annually to honor the town's patron, Saint Sebastian, and common patron, San Antonio Abad.
- Fiesta de San Sebastián: second half in January
- Fiesta de San Antón: second half in January
- Entierro de la zorra: Monday after 22nd August
- Todos del Santos: 1st November
- Feria del artesanos y alimentación: 1st November
Points of Interest in Bubión
The main point of interest in Bubión is its parish church built in the XVI century in Mudéjar style. Beautiful in its simplicity, it is situated in the lower part of the village near the remains of an old Arab tower from the Nazarí period which was used as a defence fortress by Abén Humeya's followers.
The square where the church is situated is known as La Plaza de la Iglesia or La Plaza del Ayuntamiento, because this is where the Townhall is, has in its midst an attractive and much photographed fountain with four jets in the form of a cross.
On one side of the Church Square is a small Ethnic Museum located in a traditional house, probably built at the same time as the church, called Casa Alpujarreña. It houses artefacts, some still use to our days. It is representative of life as it used to be in La Alpujarra.
Near and below the church square are two restored public wash houses or "lavaderos", that until quite recently were used by the women to wash the clothes.
La Ermita de San Antonio, situated in Camino de la Ermita, is a small church that had fallen into ruin, but was restored in 2006.